Approved Minutes May 21, 2019

Idlewyld Manor Family Council Meeting
Approved Minutes
Date: May 21, 2019 7:00 p.m.
Location: Celebration Room

PRESENT: Margaret Figliola, Elaine Armstrong, Cindy Allen, Rena Zambon, Beth and Bob Hibbard, Lori Tomasik, Anne Ross-Muschallik, Kathleen Sharkey, Barb Vacon, Marianne Hobson, Jack Graham, Arlene Holek, Rose Linton, Sophie Sporbeck, Mary Newman

  1. CALL TO ORDER: 7:03 pm
  2. GUEST SPEAKERS: None
  3. ADOPTION OF AGENDA:
    Motion moved by Anne:
    Seconded by Sophie:
    Motion CARRIED
  4. APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
    Motion moved by Arlene with Amendments which were discussed and noted
    Seconded by Elaine
    Motion: Carried
  5. CHAIR’S REMARKS:
    5.1 Clown Day, thank you to all participants as it was a big success
    5.2 Meet and Greet: Mother’s Day, Sunday May 12th: cancelled due to outbreak. See 6.2 for new date.
    5.3 Gardening: Need volunteers to water gardens. ACTION: Mondays Marianne Hobson, Wednesdays Mary Newman, Fridays Lori Tomasik, Weekends Margaret, Cindy or Ann. Kathleen volunteered for back up. Emails will be provided to let each other know when they have been watered or if they can’t make it.
    ACTION: Margaret will ask Glynis to post signs on the bulletin board in each unit stating that the gardens are open.
    5.4 Thank you – Thank you to Sandra Jordan for the homemade blankets she makes and donates. ACTION: Cindy will send a card of thanks.
  6. ONGOING BUSINESS:
    6.1 Family Council Flyer: Ann made a wallet sized handout for each of us to pass on to new resident’s family members. ACTION: Ann will email us more handouts. Ann will also hang an envelope on the board with more handouts.
    6.2 Meet and Greet: new date – New date is June 2, 2019 from 11-2:00. Cindy, Margaret, Marianne and Sophie have volunteered. ACTION: Margaret to get approval from Glynis
    6.3 Move to Make It Happen – Tuesday, May 28, 2019. Volunteers are still needed so please contact Glynis [email protected] if you can help. Remember a donation is expected for the BBQ and residents will be encouraged to sign up for the BBQs. NOTE from last meeting: If you are donating, you may specify where that money is to go i.e. Family Council Garden Fund or Recreation Department etc.
    6.4 Value Village Fundraiser: Saturday, July 13th, items needed – We get 15 cents per pound for clothing, 5 cents per pound for household items. Robert Chapman, Facilities Manager will allow us to store items in Idlewyld Manor’s garage and has also promised the use of his truck for the day for the delivery. ACTION: Margaret and Ann will organize. Marianne has volunteered her truck as well. Margaret will see if we can put a large donation box at the front door. Notices to be placed.
    6.5 Ministry Critical Incident Reports: Arlene – Questions and issues raised were:
    a) Can partial bedrails be installed?
    b) Family members not being properly notified as per their instructions.
    c) Where or to whom do we make changes in contact information for example if on vacation?
    d) Maureen Goodram’s name should be removed from Ministry documents,
    e) Have Non-compliances been addressed and resolved?
    f) What is the time frame to fix non-compliance issues?
    g) Are Volunteers notified of outbreaks if they don’t have family members residing at Idlewyld Manor?
    h) Are Police being notified when an assault occurs?
    i) Can we have one/or more staff members delegated to overseeing any and all investigations or incidents and should they be available 24 hours a day? (perhaps Directors of Nursing should oversee these issues)
    j) Need more staff but we realize with lack of funding that probably won’t happen.
    k) What is the protocol in place for critical incidents?
    l) What is the follow up for inaction on policy?
    m) Has staff training been done for critical incidents?
    n) Front door: When are the new doors coming?
    ACTION: Cindy, Margaret and Ann will meet with Susan for an update on the above issues. They will also ask about putting door instructions in the Admission Package including showing them how to use and disarm the alarm. Inquiries will also be made about consistency, follow up protocol and most importantly, communication. Possibly have someone come to speak at the next meeting regarding all of the above concerns such as Directors of Nursing, HR, anyone else that would be knowledgeable.
  7. NEW BUSINESS:
    7.1 Garden Planting: Saturday, May 18th. Rain dates: Sunday May 19,
    Saturday May 25, Sunday May 26. ACTION: Margaret, Ann have this under control
    7.2 Memorial Garden: Sunday June 9. ACTION: Margaret and Ann to organize
  8. REPORTS:
    8.1 Treasurer’s Report: After the addition of $40.00 from last month’s 50/50 Draw and the Expense of $140.00 for Clown Fees, there is $1251.45 in the treasury with $147.80 in cash.
    8.2 Marnie, President of Resident Council is still in the hospital at St. Joseph’s. Visitors welcomed.
  9. ROUND TABLE DISCUSSION:  See 6.5 above
  10. 50/50 DRAW
    Collected: $70.00, $35.00 won by Barb Vacon and donated to the Garden Fund
  11. ADJOURNMENT: The meeting was adjourned at 9:07 p.m.

Next meeting:
Date: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 time: 7 p.m.
Place: Celebration Room